Our Infertility Story

I struggled with infertility and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) since 2006. As a result, I knew I would have trouble getting pregnant and having a baby. Knowing that my life-long dream was nothing more than to have child of my own, when Adam and I started talking about marriage, we knew that we wanted to get started on our family as quickly as possible.  Soon after we wed, we began trying for a baby; or at least, not trying to stop it from happening.  We prayed and prayed that God would give us a baby but after months with no success, we knew we needed to seek help.

After I turned 33 in January of 2013, we made a trip to my regular ob-gyn who referred us to a specialist. I’ll never forget our first visit to said specialist for a consult. It felt so cold and unwelcoming and hearing the doctor blurt out facts about the female anatomy and PCOS left me feeling less than warm and fuzzy. In tears as we pulled out of the parking lot, I told my husband to just forget it; that we would never be parents. Adam, kindly reminded me of the different things the doctor had said in the consult. He told me that the doctor seemed very smart and he wished I would just hear him out and go along with it for one cycle. So I did.
I endured test after test after test. Blood tests and glucose tests revealed a portion of what we already knew. More tests to check other aspects of pregnancy.  In all, I think together we went through five or six different visits for tests alone. After that, we were offered a treatment which we were told would bring my chances of becoming pregnant from 0.5% to almost 40%. There was a 25% chance of twins and a 5% chance of triplets attached to the treatment plan but after seeing my brother and his wife handle their twins, we felt it was a risk we were willing to take.  We jumped at it.

Together, Adam and I went through two weeks of not-so-fun, very-expensive, injections in my stomach all while I was constantly monitored to ensure my follicles were of the right size. The hormones that I was on made me extremely emotional and I think on more than one occasion, Adam and I were on the verge of separation. At last, the day finally came that I grew one of my follicles to 18mm, and two others to 15 mm, Adam administered one more injection (this time in my backside) to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, on July 22, 2013, we went in for a quick and painless procedure called an IUI (Inter-Uterine Insemination).
After the procedure was finished, I was required to lie on the table for about 10 minutes. During that time, Adam came in, made me laugh, we prayed and asked God to let His will be done and if it was His will for us, to please allow us to become parents.

About a week past and I felt completely normal. No indication on whether or not the process worked. Then, all of a sudden, one Sunday afternoon, I began bloating like I can’t even begin to describe. I suddenly gained 20 pounds over night. I couldn’t button my pants, I couldn’t eat, I had terrible pain around my ovaries.  I called my fertility specialist and they advised me that I had a condition called Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation. It took about two weeks for it to go away; but in the meantime, I was beyond miserable. My poor husband couldn’t understand what was going on and why I was so miserable. We spent another week not only dealing with the uncertainty of whether or not the procedure worked, but also the pain from the reaction!

I wouldn’t advise this (and your doctor will probably tell you not to), but at about 10 days after the procedure, Adam and I couldn’t stand it any longer! We purchased some store brand home pregnancy tests. The morning of 10 days after the procedure, I used one of the tests and got a very faint positive line. The next morning, I tested again. The line was even darker this time!


Adam and I spent several days, keeping quiet to ourselves, but feeling more confident that we knew the procedure had worked.  On Friday, August 2, 2013 (my Dad’s birthday), I went back to the doctor to check on the Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome. I couldn’t keep it a secret anymore, and admitted to my doctor that I had taken an at-home test.  Knowingly, he asked “positive?” and when I nodded affirmatively, he told me to go down the hall and have bloodwork done. My hcg that day was a 207 which was a strong indication of pregnancy. I was told to come to come back the following Monday for another blood test.  On August 5 (14 days past ovulation), my hcg was 771 which pretty much confirmed my pregnancy.  We are ecstatic and called our families to share the news that we were pregnant FINALLY!  At this point, we had no idea that God had a bigger plan and even though we knew becoming parents was going to change our lives forever, we had no idea of what was to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment